We don’t really have anything new to say.
I love it when clients say that to us.
Why? Because it gives us a chance to look smart.
Here’s what happens when you stop talking to your markets.
1. There’s nothing new about you in the search engines.
2. You don’t have anything to put in the “news page” on your website.
3. You don’t look like you have market momentum.
4. Google Alerts on you, your company and your products stop popping up on your customers’ screens.
5. And your competitors are free to fill the vacuum.
So what do we tell our clients when they ask that question?
That’s fine, but have you thought about:
• Putting out a press release about the five big issues facing your customers in the next 12 months.
• Doing targeted media outreach on those five issues, focusing on the media that’s closest to your customers.
• Using your issues analysis as content for a series of bylined articles that position you as an expert on issues that your customers worry about?
• Creating content based on the issues analysis for use in your social media program?
• Securing speaking engagements for you and your key people, again based on your proprietary issues analysis?
PR is a no brainer when you’ve got something “big” in the pipeline – an acquisition, a new product, a new hire, a new ad agency.
The tricky part is when you don’t…so, just remember, radio silence is not a good thing!