Pinterest is great for building your business’s online visibility. Not only does it get you noticed by those who are active on Pinterest, it can also increase your presence in search engine results. Here are some tips for getting the most out of Pinterest with regard to SEO.
* Use your profile to your advantage. Be sure to add your site’s URL, and pay special attention to the “About” section. Craft an interesting description that includes your best keywords without sounding overly optimized. It’s also a good idea to fill in your location, especially if you cater to a local market. Make sure that search privacy is turned off so that your profile will show up in search results.
* Choose optimized names for your boards. Make them catchy and descriptive while using relevant keywords, and fill them with on-topic pins. A properly optimized board has lots of potential for high search rankings.
* Pay attention to file names when uploading pins. When uploading content from your hard drive, you have control over the file name. Use this to your advantage. Rename the file using relevant keywords before you upload it. Search engines take file names into consideration, so it will be worth your while.
* Use keywords in your pin descriptions. Whether you create an original pin or repin something from another user, you can write your own description. There is a 500 character limit, so you won’t be able to work in too many keywords without sounding spammy. But choosing one or two good ones is enough, because the description will work in conjunction with the name of the board to get the attention of the search engines.
Recommended for YouWebcast: A Week in the Life of an Agile Creative Team
* Pin items from your website. When you pin from a web page, a link to the site it comes from appears along with the pin. That means a new link to your site every time you or someone else pins from it, and every time someone else repins that pin. These links are not followed by search engines, but they might be followed by Pinterest users. You can also add a link to the description. Description links are followed by search engines.
Keeping SEO in mind will help you get the most out of your Pinterest marketing efforts. By utilizing keywords in the right places, you can get better search engine placement for your Pinterest profile, boards and pins. And by linking to your site where appropriate, you can improve its search rankings as well.