The study concludes that while Pinterest has a smaller user base than services like Facebook or Twitter, the service engenders enormous loyalty and has become a daily habit for more than half its users.
As a reality check, Pinterest just ditched the limited “invitation” stage of its growth in early August of this year! So the expansion has been explosive and rapid.
The Social Habit research of American social media users shows some pretty staggering insights. A few highlights:
- Usage of Pinterest is already nearly as large as LinkedIn with 21% having a Pinterest account versus 26% on LinkedIn
- More than half of Pinterest users visit the site each day.
- We could be seeing just the tip of the iceberg for Pinterest’s growth. 38% of U.S. social media users plan to use Pinterest more often
- 70% of the site’s users are women and 64% of the site’s fans are under the age of 34. In fact, Pinterest is the third-most widely-used social network for women 18-44 (behind Facebook and Twitter).
- The most popular pins?
- Arts & Crafts
- Interior Design
- Family-Related Content
- Here’s the big one: 27% of Pinterest users have purchased a product as a result of seeing it on someone else’s pinboard.
Pretty amazing stuff. How are you using Pinterest for your business? Or is it just for fun?
Recommended for YouWebcast: Growth at a Scale Up: How to Grow When You're No Longer a Startup
By the way, this is just one tiny glimpse into the amazing dataset compiled by Edison Research and the Social Habit report. This is a MUST HAVE and affordable resource for any agency, marketing department or social media professional.
Disclosure: I am an adviser to Edison Research.