Are you overwhelmed and confused by the number of travel apps out there these days? Which ones will get you the best vacation at the best price? We asked Anne Banas, executive editor of SmarterTravel.com, share some of her favorites for the average traveller.
“Apps can make travelling go so much smoother. You don’t always have time to stop and check a computer, but with a tablet or phone you can check your flight’s status or other conditions instantly,” says Banas.
This top five list will help you maneuver through the complex world of airline bookings, delays, cancellations and reservations.
1. Flyers Rights: Ms. Banas recommends this app because, “In recent years there have been a lot of advocacy organizations for passenger rights such as full disclosure of airline fees, which allows you to see the full price up front.” If you find yourself in a difficult travel situation, such as being stuck in limbo on the runway, this app can give you tips about how to maximize that situation.
Related Resources from B2C
» Free Webcast: Bye-Bye Solution Selling: Why Sales Teams Are Moving To Insight Selling
2. Next Flight: This app allows you to search for alternative flights when yours is cancelled, delayed, or if you missed a connection. As Banas explains, “When your flight is cancelled, and people are stuck at the airport, you’re all competing for the same flights. There’s no way around being in a long line, trying to get another flight, having this app with give you the knowledge to be ahead of the pack.”
3. Sky Scanner: “This allows you to book directly through airline websites, and to see a list of destination and prices, such as if it’s cheaper to book one way or round trip.” By booking directly through airline websites, you can often avoid the fees of online travel agencies.
4. JetBlue Everywhere: JetBlue gets a specific mention because of it’s increasing popularity. “I wouldn’t normally choose an individual airline app but because they have such high customer rankings and it is quickly becoming a major airline, it make the list. This app let’s you customize fare and deals, as well as track flights,” Banas said.
5. Hotels by Orbitz: “This is great if you’re stuck overnight somewhere, or if you’re just a flexible traveler, this app allows you to get same day discounts at area hotels.”
Lastly, Anne cautions users to read the app reviews before downloading. “If there’s a choice between a free or paid version, make sure you read the reviews for both. A paid version is not necessarily better, it’s the app with the most up to date information that is going to make the app worthwhile.”
See the rest of Smarter Travel’s Top 10 Lists:
More from GalTime:
- Ways to Avoid Family Vacation Stress
- Keep Your Home Safe and Secure When You Travel
- 5 Worst Online Booking Mistakes
- Don’t Let Your Frequent Flier Miles EXPIRE!