One of the many social media outlets that is being used today in the professional world is LinkedIn, and having a profile on their website can help you make connections and network faster than before. Here are some tips on using LinkedIn:
1. Complete your profile: Make sure your entire profile is completed when you have your LinkedIn page set up. The more detail you have, the easier it is for people to find you when they are searching. Filling out your skills and expertise, completing the summary, and having a professional photo are all must-haves.
Recommended for YouWebcast: Sales and Marketing Alignment: 7 Steps To Implement Effective Sales Enablement
2. Only add people you know: This is a point that is repeated, but it needs to be said. Unlike other social media websites, LinkedIn is professional and should remain that way. When you are connecting with people, only do it with people who you’ve met more than once and know who you are. Most people won’t accept an invitation if they’ve never met you.
3. Join Groups: No matter what your interest are, (Human Resources, Marketing etc.) you can find a group on LinkedIn where you can have open discussions and feedback. This is a great way to engage in conversation with like-minded people, and gives you the opportunity to expand your network and make new connections.
4. Update your profile status: Updating your LinkedIn isn’t the same as updating your Facebook page, make sure you keep it professional. Update your profile with news articles that are related to the industry you’re interested in or relevant articles about the job market. By updating your profile you’re showing your connections that you’re aware of what’s happening in the industry, which can give you the opportunity to start a dialog.
5. Find Events: LinkedIn can help you find events to attend do participate in some offline networking. On the home page, under the “more” tab, there is an events section. Here you can see which events your connections are attending or are interested in. You can also see the most popular events on LinkedIn or simply search for events happening in your area.
These are just a few ways to use LinkedIn, what are other ways that you use LinkedIn to your advantage?