Having read my recent post, “The Introvert’s 2013 Business and Leadership Success Pledge,” a colleague asked me to write something similar specifically focusing on CEOs. Through my experience working with hundreds of mid-market CEOs at CEO Connection, I can confidently say the most successful leaders follow this pledge ardently:
The CEO’s 2013 Leadership Pledge:
1. I will get the right people in the right roles. Immediately. Roles where they can leverage their strengths and still have room to grow.
2. I will happily shoulder the role of being Chief Steward of Values. Treating each employee with the respect due every human will be top priority; regardless of whether this is currently one of our “written/stated” values.
3. I will remind myself often, “It’s not about me.”
4. I will be attentive to the fact that everything I do, and not just what I say, sends a message. Employees will be watching me, as will customers, partners, competitors, “the street,” and leaders across industries. I accept the responsibility that accompanies this reality.
5. I will admit what I don’t know, if not to my team then at least to myself. I will seek answers and expertise and ensure my ego never gets in the way of my company’s success.
6. I will set every one of my employees up for success, with appropriate resources and opportunities for development.
7. I will make leadership development a priority, recognizing that leadership must be strong throughout the entire organization and not just at the top.
8. I will commit to giving feedback, both positive and instructive, on a regular and timely basis with the intent of nurturing success in every one of my team members.
9. I will recognize the impact of our company culture on the day-to-day lives of each employee, as well as the impact on our company brand, and will cultivate an environment that attracts the best talent in our industry.
10. Most importantly, I will create a clear and inspiring vision of where I am leading the company, and will communicate to every employee, partner and collaborator how important their role is in bringing this vision to life!
Are you an introvert looking to use your introversion to your advantage in business & leadership or an extrovert interested in leading introverts more effectively? I wrote this eBook for you…
“The Introvert’s Guide to Success in Business and Leadership” eBook is NOW Available! Amazon Best Seller, Amazon Hot New Release, and the inspiration behind my Harvard Business Review article! Featured on Huffington Post. BUY Now on Amazon for Kindle or Buy it at B&N for Nook! Also available on iBooks!
Click here to DOWNLOAD in PDF format. Thank you!
Photo of Leadership by Ed Gaillard.