The online publishing world is so crowded that it could be a gargantuan task to get noticed by the audience you want. Some niches are even worse than others, and any online publisher needs all the help he can get to get eyeballs. Hence the rise of content marketing and other “tricks” to promote content.
Your blog or online magazine, or whatever you want to call it, may have some of the most interesting and useful content there is in your field, but if you do not promote content, then no one may know you even exist – except for your mom and dad, maybe.
But there’s also the danger of going overboard when you promote content. We all hate spammers, and these days, all the major platforms have stringent measures in place. And, even if they did not, people will naturally block you out if you go overboard.
So what’s a man to do?
You’ve got to figure out a content promotion strategy that works for you, find that sweet spot between not promoting at all and dropping links all over the place. It will involve a lot of trial and error, feedback and adjustment, and even sweat and blood; but here’s a bit of help for you, coming from marketing experts.
Referral Candy has put together data they have gathered from top marketing people and presented it in an infographic. They’ve distilled all the information into nine tips to promote content – tips that will give you a boost if you follow them.
Here’s a quick rundown:
- Before everything else, your blog’s gotta rock.
- Don’t let your effort go to waste, make sure it’s searchable.
- A picture paints a thousand words. We’re all visual creatures.
- Relationship matters. Build real relationships with people first.
- Know your target audience. Really, really understand your audience.
- Get personal by email.
- Perform targeted distribution.
- Maximize the potential of social media.
For all the juicy, useful details, here is the entire infographic.