Something required by all jobs when applying is to submit a resume, and since everyone has to create one it can be hard to make yours stand out from everyone else’s. Since a resume is the first thing an employer sees before actually considering you for the job, its important to take the time and effort to ensure your resume is noticed. Here are some tips of things that can make your resume stand out:
1. Keep it Simple: When writing a resume try to remember that less is more, you want it to be as readable as possible and make it easy for them to see your skills without having to read through tons of text
2. Be Specific: Using general terms to list your achievements makes you blend in with everyone else. Its important to be specific of the things you accomplished so that you can show exactly what skill you gained from it. Using numbers or hard facts is a great opportunity to help the reader visualize what you were able to do.
3. Use the Right Keywords: When searching for applicants online a lot of jobs put in specific key words when searching, and if your resume doesn’t have them, you won’t show up. Look at the job description they have posted and see what skills they’re looking for, most key words they search for are nouns.
4. New Job, New Resume: Although it is easy to make a standard resume that you send out to every job you apply for, it can end up hurting you because your resume is not specific to the job you’re applying for. Make sure you look at what the company is looking for and tailor your resume to them.
5. Proof Read: Before sending out your resume, make sure you proof read it…and then send it to a friend or family member and have them proof read it…and then maybe proof read it again yourself. Nothing is worse than sending out a resume and then realizing you’ve misspelled a word or chosen the wrong one.
A resume is important because it is the first impression you can make when applying for a job, ask yourself when reading over your resume “Would I hire this person?”. What are some tips that you think are important to having a great resume?