For decades, many industries have resisted the shift to digital. Retail, pharmaceutical, financial services, healthcare and even the media have fortified themselves against the changes taking place in the global consumer marketplaces. But one-by-one, all industries must, sooner or later, engage with those customers who have already made the digital transformation or risk losing businesses to more nimble and digitally focused competitors.
Over the last half dozen years, social media has been the more publicly acceptable face of the digital revolution. And while it is wrapped in positive terminology (friends, likes, hearts), these mask a deeper and more profound shift – the shift from analog to digital. It is this shift that is sweeping all before it, impacting all aspects of business.
In the healthcare industry, peer-to-peer recommendation is giving rise to social health – and what I am increasingly calling the social prescription – diagnosis and product recommendation via social networks. For better or worse, the social prescription is a reality that healthcare specialists now must also contend with. People are now consuming health information, content and services like they do any other product – and have expectations more in line with retail experience than the traditional doctor-patient relationship.
This infographic from the alliedhealthworld site shows how this plays out:
- More than 75% of consumers expect a response within a day after requesting an appointment through social media (note the use of the word “consumers” rather than “patients”)
- 20% of consumers join online health forums
- 25% of internet users watch health related videos
But the real challenge is not in understanding the shift, it is in applying that understanding to the strategy of your business. How do you:
Related Resources from B2C
» Free Webcast: Hooked: How to Build Habit Forming Products
- Transform your healthcare or pharmaceutical business while navigating government regulation?
- Combat misinformation and uninformed recommendation?
- Compete for the mindshare of the connected consumer?
- Integrate your business strategy with the demands for a digital future?
Contact me to learn how I can help.