Everyone’s lives are full of life altering decisions, but most do not think hard enough about them. Choosing whether to go to college, marry your significant other, and what diet to maintain can all drastically change how your life progresses. Here is a list of five life changing decisions and how you should think about them. Most people will not give these decisions the thought that they deserve, but doing so will offer a profound advantage for enjoying life.
- Going to college – higher education is important for a number of reasons besides the in-class instruction. Meeting new people and broadening your horizons during these formative years will help you to become a more informed person. Nonetheless, finding yourself in hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of debt when you are 22 is not something that everyone is prepared for. Take some time to debate your options and determine what you really want to do with your life. Find a job and see how the real world is. Incurring heavy student loan debt is not something that should be taken lightly.
- Marriage – love is a beautiful thing, but marriage is a large step. In the United States, the divorce rate is higher than anywhere else in the world. If more people seriously debated getting married, there may not be such a high rate. Keep in mind that you are supposed to be with this person for the next seventy years. Every single day you will be with them through the best and the worst of times. Imagine them in the worst possible situation and you will still have to love them. Marriage is great, but should not be taken lightly.
- What you eat – within the last few decades people have finally started to recognize that maintaining a healthy diet is a huge decision. Going to eat fast food is second nature for many, but these people fail to debate the life altering affects when they have a heart attack in their 40’s. Think about the types of foods that you are putting in your body and you may extend your life for many years. Cut out the chips, reduce the sweets, and take the proper vitamin and mineral supplements to keep your body strong and healthy.
- Having children – Without getting too political or religious, having children is a huge step in a person’s life and can have serious implications. It is usually quite easy to make a child, but not always so simple to have a screaming, crying, and constantly eating human being for many years. Think about putting your education, work, and social life on hold for a while as you focus on your precious child. Ask yourself if you are truly ready for this before you start.
- Buying luxuries – it is nice to get new toys every now and then, but luxuries can be a huge decision for your life. Imagine if you hadn’t bought that expensive car or jewelry. What about that pool and hot tub that you never use? Humans are fickle and frequently get bored with luxury items. Think hard before you buy a luxury item – maybe even wait a year and see if you still want it.
Life altering decisions can come every day or once in a lifetime. Choosing whether to eat healthy or not is a conscious effort that you must maintain forever, but all of these decisions must be made with the utmost care.