We often overlook our oral health as an important component of our overall health. It’s estimated that nearly 75% of Americans suffer from some form of gum disease which has been linked to serious health complications. The truth of the matter is that oral health can and will impact your whole body, so it’s important to tell/ask your dentist certain things for better health in general. Dr. Pankaj Singh, founder and CEO of Arch Dental, offers the following top five things you need to tell/ask your dentist at the next visit.
- Ask you dentist what can your dentist do now to prevent future problems
- Ask your dentist how your diet is affecting your teeth
- Tell you dentist if you have any underlying illnesses or ailments and ask how your other illnesses are affecting your teeth.– Dr. Singh notes that if someone comes in after having a surgical procedure, they may need an antibiotic first (to prevent bacteria). Also if you have any type of breathing ailment, your dentist will need to know this as certain issues and precautions may come in to play.
- Tell your dentist if you have ben snoring or have trouble sleeping.
- Tell your dentist if you have bad breath–Dr. Singh says that dentists wear masks so they may not be able to smell it. Bad breath can be a sign that your mouth has bacteria build up and that’s something dentists need to know about in order to treat it.
More from GalTime:
- Teeth Whitening: The Basics
- Fear of the Dentist: Is it All in Your Head?
- Need Dental Work? Grab Your Passport!
- 5 Tips for a Healthy Heart
Tara Weng is the national editor of parenting and health for GalTime. She is also a media consultant with a focus on medical and consumer topics. Her professional experience includes a stint as a medical/features producer at the NBC affiliate in Boston, MA and a media relations position at a top teaching hospital in Boston. Tara has also done public relations consulting work and has written for several online and print media outlets. She is a wife and a mother to two children (who are fantastic) and an enthusiastic New England sports fan.
Read more: http://galtime.com/user/38415#ixzz1lQK5zTnh