When it comes to marketing your business on Facebook, your #1 goal is engaging fans.
But doing so is a challenge — as all fans are different.
They all have different preferences & aversions.
Which means you must appeal to each in a different way.
The guys over at ReachLocal have published a great infographic below showing the 7 popular types of Facebook fans — and how to appeal to them.
Recommended for YouWebcast: Strategies, Tactics & Tools for Content Marketing in 2015
7 Typical Facebook Fans (and How to Appeal to Each)
>> 1. The Quiet Follower
Will sometimes read your updates, but only if it catches their eye.
- Knows of your business, but may not be a customer
- Likes you because their friends do
- Doesn’t really harm your social media presence
- To create appealing content — like polls, images, videos — and strong call-to-actions to engage these fans
Fact: More than 50% of Facebook updates are images
>> 2. The Casual Liker
Will genuinely like some of the things you post — but just some of it.
- Connects with your brand because of past purchase or experience
- Wants friends to see them as a source of good recommendations
- Boosts your social visability
- To develop creative & engaging posts about new or popular products or services & ask these fans to share them
Fact: 70% of Consumers trust brand or product recommendations from friends
>> 3. The Deal Seeker
Always looking for a deal & has the motto “You scratch my back & I’ll scratch yours.”
- Makes everyday purchasing decisions based on value over loyalty
- Stays up to date with businesses via social media
- Helps drive new sales to your business
- To offer deals, promotions & fan appreciation specials to get more shares & new business
Fact: 49% of Social media users follow brand pages for deals, promotions & specials
>> 4. The Unhappy Customer
They had a bad experience & aren’t afraid to talk about it!
- Shares negative experiences on social media pages
- Expects you to respond to their issue — soon!
- Affects your online reputation, potentially in a bad way
- To monitor your pages & business name mentions frequently & to respond to negative posts professionally & quickly
Fact: 42% of Consumers who contact brands on social media expect a response within at least an hour
>> 5. The Ranter
Always wants to YELL about something!
- Isn’t necessarily a customer (but might be)
- Has strong opinions on personal issues
- Known by some as a being a “troll”
- To keep a cool head & avoid fueling conversations that aren’t related to your business — don’t feed the trolls
Fact: 45% of Consumers are more likely to share negative experiences on social media
>> 6. The Cheerleader
Loves your brand & everything you post rocks!!!
- Likes, comments on & shares your posts, often from a mobile device
- Enters every contest & promotion
- Drives community growth & builds awareness
- To make sure your content is worth cheering about (think limited-time offers or events), especially since friends of these fans will see it
Facts: 74% of Mobile social media users visit Facebook – 63% visit Twitter several times per day via mobile devices
>> 7. The Loyal Fan
They always have your back — no matter what!
- Recommends you to family & friends — offline & online
- Provides both valuable praise & constructive criticism
- Defends you against angry social media fans
- To recognize these loyal fans with customer appreciation gifts
- To use their positive comments across all of your marketing efforts
Fact: 30% of Consumers are more likely to share their positive experiences via social media
Once you grasp the different types of fans visiting your page you can then ensure that you’re posting content that appeals to each of them.