Because they have to work in many ways, good taglines are hard to write, says Branding Strategy Insider.
But a tagline is a terrible thing to waste.
A tagline must not only convey your brand’s unique value, but must do so credibly, memorably and tersely, Insider says.
The most common mistakes marketers make with taglines are:
- Claiming something trite (for example, “excellence”)
- Saying something catchy, but without meaning
- Communicating only the brand’s product category
- Touting a benefit any brand in the category must deliver
- Making promises indistinguishable from competitors’
- Using too many words
Insider cites these examples of crummy taglines:
Related Resources from B2C
» Free Webcast: How To Create Killer Marketing Content
We’re Glad You’re Here (City of Chicago)
We get you there (Delta Airlines)
A good place to sit and eat (Denny’s)
And some good ones? Insider cites:
Don’t leave home without it (American Express)
A diamond is forever (DeBeers)
A mind is a terrible thing to waste (United Negro College Fund)
What’s your favorite tagline?